Friday, September 9, 2016

Kathy in the Office

Kathy Greenwell - Oak Hill cemetery office manager

I have been wandering around Oak Hill, looking for and photographing headstones, recording old burials on Find a Grave, for the past five or so years.  I use all sorts of aids to help me find my way around and figure out who is who.  There is the library copy of the Rock County Genealogy Society's Guide to Oak Hill Cemetery, which covers burials up to 1996, archives of the Janesville Gazette, books written by the former director of the Rock County Historical Society, Maurice Montgomery, and so on.  But when I get really stuck I go to see Kathy in the cemetery office.

Kathy answers the telephone, sells plots, and is mistress of the huge old card file that contains handwritten records of all the old burials going back to 1851.  She also has old books with charts detailing each block, family plot, and individual burial space.  Want a map or a list of all the cemetery rules and regulations? She is your woman. I hate to pester her, but when I need to find answers, she is endlessly patient and helpful.

If you have questions that she might be able to answer you can visit the cemetery office Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.  You can also call 608-754-4030.

No comments:

Post a Comment